[Crystal-develop] GSoC proposal
Pedro Arthur
2014-03-11 19:27:30 UTC

I'm Pedro Arthur and I'm willing to apply a proposal for Crystal Space. I
thought in work in the
material / shader weaver graph node editor and I would like to get some
advices about this
project.

I also had an idea of a project to add crystal space support for librocket (
http://librocket.com/). I
know crystal space already have support for GUI with CEGUI but I think that
adding support for
html+css GUI can be really interesting because it's easier and in my opnion
it leads to more rich and beutiful GUI. And we can add a lightweight
javascript engine so it can be even more powerful.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thanks,
Pedro.
Christian Van Brussel
2014-03-13 15:01:44 UTC
Hi Pedro,

adding support for librocket is a priori a good idea and this seems an
interesting project topic.

Adding also the support for a javascript engine can be great too
although this is more optional. What do you plan for that? There is the
v8rocket library (http://www.ohloh.net/p/v8rocket) that uses the v8
library in that goal, do you plan to use either of those libraries?

Otherwise, you can go on and submit your project proposal on Google
Melange, presenting the set of tasks you plan for that along a timeline.

Regards,
Christian
Pedro Arthur
2014-03-13 15:36:08 UTC
I thought about using v8.rocket/v8, the first seems to be a good choice
but I think it's no more actively developed. Then I thought about using
some minimal js engine but yet I didn't find any. I'll do some more
research and analise the state of v8.rocket to have a final decision, but
the v8.rocket is a good candidate.

Christian Van Brussel
2014-03-13 16:07:32 UTC
One concern to care about in order to choose a set of libraries is to
try to reduce them as much as possible.

Each new library that CS depends on can cause troubles, either in order
to be incorporated within the cswinlibs packages, or for the Unix users
that would need to install them manually.

The active support for the library is important too. v8rocket is
probably to be avoided in that sense, although v8 is a very good
candidate.

Maybe you can:
- use v8 and base your code on the one made in v8rocket.
- when using v8, try to make your code depending on it only optionally,
so that if the library is not found, then the rocket GUI would still be
available, but with limited functionalities.
Pedro Arthur
2014-03-14 20:09:21 UTC
Hi again,

I've found this http://duktape.org/ minimal js engine it seems to be a
perfect
candidate to use given that it can be integrated only adding a single .c
source
file and a header and it's actively developed even not having a JIT engine
like V8
I think it's a good choice.

Soumitra Saxena
2014-03-15 04:59:05 UTC
Hello all !

My name is Soumitra Saxena. I'm in my prefinal year , studying Electronics
Engineering at the Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences , Pilani ,
India. I've taken a keen interest in Computer Graphics/OpenGL for the last
2 semesters and am very excited to apply for GSOC under Crystal Space.

Basic Terrain Generation has been a project of mine , both at a personal (
https://medium.com/code-adventures/cccf50e961a9) and academic level. I've
also tried my hands on a basic planet generation using terrain maps (
https://medium.com/code-adventures/9df442973626).

I've also done a bit of scripting and GUI implementation in Maya (toolkit
for Cloud Generation)

A GUI Editor for Terrain seems to be a fantastic addition to the Crystal
Space interface. I thought of a rough prototype for a GUI Editor. Here is
the rough map -

A GUI Editor for Terrain -

A 3D GUI Editor for Terrain , based on the flexibilities provided by the
cseditor framework. Modelled on Maya's Editor for Fluids and Terrain (kind
of) . Single iSpace with panels containing the Tools. Add flexibilities
like toggle wireframe/textured , rotation , zoom , viewcube etc. Can even
add quick view options like Isometric and Orthographic angles. The
following tools can be provided for improved functionality , leveraging
Crystal Space's terrain handling libraries. We are basically making an
interface so that a new user feels comfortable with terrain generation and
does not have to worry about the pipeline behind it :

Tools to be implemented in the panels :

1. Generate Mesh tool :

a.Set number of cells and size of mesh.

b.Generate Flat Terrain with standard material and proceed to Edit it using
the Terrain Edit Tools.

c. Set Properties like Max Height , Mean height , Median height.

d. Preloaded presets - Desert , Grassland , Ice

2. Generate Terrain tool:

a. Load Heightmap and generate terrain , save values in the mesh to edit
later.

b. Set values like Max Height , weight and Resolution.

3. Material Properties :

a. Set attributes like Material Color , Material Type ( Phong , Blinn etc)

4..Edit Mesh tool :

a. Selectable points in the mesh using Mouse pointer . On click , 3D
Transformation tool appears , user can use deformations. Add option of
toggling off texture (display wireframe).

5. Paint Terrain tool :

a. Splatting Textures - Select a splatting texture from a list of textures.
Mouse cursor changes into the type of texture. Paint over the standard
texture with the chosen texture.

b. Choose from a variety of colors , terrain presets ( dust , grass , ice).

6. Add Object Tool (maybe):
Christian Van Brussel
2014-03-16 16:47:54 UTC
Hi Pedro,

yes, the fact that it needs only the inclusion of those two files makes
the duktape library very interesting since it becomes much more easy to
chip it with CS. The downside is that we will need to update manually
the library and/or manage some configuration stuff to be able to detect
if it is present on the system and use that version instead.

It appears also quite actively developed as you mention, and it is OK
regardless the license (MIT).

That's therefore a good candidate to try. Good job finding it!