[Crystal-develop] Status of bullet/physics plugins?
Phil Wyett
2014-04-20 12:52:32 UTC
Hi all,

What is the current status of bullet physics?

Is ODE still scheduled for removal?

Regards

Phil
--
Phil Wyett
{
}
Jorrit Tyberghein
2014-04-21 14:26:44 UTC
I think the main issue is CEL where odedynam is still being used. Tomorrow
I will try to make some time to see if it is easy to get rid of.

Greetings,
Post by Phil Wyett
Hi all,
What is the current status of bullet physics?
Is ODE still scheduled for removal?
Regards
Phil
--
Phil Wyett
{
GNU Linux User and Developer
Leigh GNU Linux User Group (http://leigh.lug.org.uk)
IRC: philwyett
Twitter: philwyett and leigh_lug
}
Project Manager of Crystal Space and CEL
(http://www.crystalspace3d.org/<http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page>
)
Project Manager of AresEd (https://code.google.com/p/ares/)
Support: https://www.gittip.com/jorritTyb/
Ralph Campbell
2014-04-21 16:53:14 UTC
Bullet hasn't compiled successfully for me for quite some time.
I'm using Fedora 20 and tried compiling with bullet-2.82-r2704
as well as the standard 2.81 that comes with Fedora 20.

Planeshift uses ODE collision detection so removing it would be
a problem until bullet compiles.
Jorrit Tyberghein
2014-04-21 16:55:43 UTC
Planeshift doesn't use ODE at all. PlaneShift uses OPCODE for collision
detection but that is not related to ODE.

Greetings,
Post by Phil Wyett
Hi all,
What is the current status of bullet physics?
Is ODE still scheduled for removal?
Regards
Phil
Post by Phil Wyett
their
http://p.sf.net/sfu/NeoTech
Phil Wyett
2014-04-21 18:22:48 UTC
Post by Jorrit Tyberghein
Planeshift doesn't use ODE at all. PlaneShift uses OPCODE for
collision detection but that is not related to ODE.
Greetings,
On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 6:53 PM, Ralph Campbell
Post by Phil Wyett
Hi all,
What is the current status of bullet physics?
Is ODE still scheduled for removal?
Regards
Phil
Who is the primary bullet plugin(s) developer?

This issue of non compilation needs resolving.

Regards

Phil
--
Phil Wyett
{
}
Christian Van Brussel
2014-04-22 15:02:06 UTC
Post by Phil Wyett
Who is the primary bullet plugin(s) developer?
This issue of non compilation needs resolving.
I'm somehow the guy that is responsible of the physics plugins.

As in the previous mail I just sent, the Bullet dependency for CS is
"Version: 2.78 minimum, 2.81 or above will not work currently", and
adding support for 2.81 or above is not easy.

It is also to be known that the development of the Bullet 2.x branch has
been stopped in favor of the 3.x branch (aka the GPU branch). That 3.x
branch is still in beta status, but we will need to switch the CS plugin
to that branch one day too.

Maybe the simplest currently would be to check the version of Bullet at
configuration time, and reject it if it is 2.81 or above?
Phil Wyett
2014-04-22 16:55:51 UTC
Post by Christian Van Brussel
Post by Phil Wyett
Who is the primary bullet plugin(s) developer?
This issue of non compilation needs resolving.
I'm somehow the guy that is responsible of the physics plugins.
As in the previous mail I just sent, the Bullet dependency for CS is
"Version: 2.78 minimum, 2.81 or above will not work currently", and
adding support for 2.81 or above is not easy.
It is also to be known that the development of the Bullet 2.x branch has
been stopped in favor of the 3.x branch (aka the GPU branch). That 3.x
branch is still in beta status, but we will need to switch the CS plugin
to that branch one day too.
Maybe the simplest currently would be to check the version of Bullet at
configuration time, and reject it if it is 2.81 or above?
Hi all,

I have done a small audit of bullet in a number of popular GNU Linux
distros for which bullet version is provided in repositories.

Short Term Support distros...

Fedora 19: 2.81
Fedora 20: 2.81
Ubuntu 13.10: 2.81

Long term support distros >= 5 years...

Debian 7.x (in backports): 2.82
RHEL/CentOS 6.x (from EPEL repo): 2.81
Ubuntu: 14.04 LTS: 2.81

Note: Ubuntu version comes from the 'universe' repo. Thus the version
listed also applies to all Ubuntu derivatives of the same version i.e.
Kubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome etc.

It seems we are lagging behind the distros here and need to get up to
date as to make it easier for devs and users. At minimum we need to
really base on the version that is in long term support distros,
maintain that and update to support the latest and greatest where
necessary/appropriate with the shorter support term distros. Maybe we
should look at this in depth and put planning and dev resources in place
to do it?

At present I see the lack of support for using bullet 2.81 with CS as a
blocker to doing a release.

Regards

Phil
--