[Crystal-develop] Next release version of CS / CEL and any additionals - Your thoughts?
Phil Wyett
2014-04-21 18:34:22 UTC
Hi all,

I will soon be drawing up plans and schedule for the next CS release.

What version number will we be adopting? Are we continuing the 2.x
series or jumping to 3.x?

What would you like to see in the next release?

What would you like to see gone from the next release?

Time to express your opinions?

Please send all replies to the main list.

Regards

Phil
--
Phil Wyett
{
}
Naman Gupta
Jorrit Tyberghein
2014-04-22 08:22:05 UTC
3.x is only warranted is sufficiently has changed. IMHO that's not really
the case but that's just my opinion.

Greetings,
Post by Naman Gupta
definitely the new water.
Post by Phil Wyett
Hi all,
I will soon be drawing up plans and schedule for the next CS release.
What version number will we be adopting? Are we continuing the 2.x
series or jumping to 3.x?
What would you like to see in the next release?
What would you like to see gone from the next release?
Time to express your opinions?
Please send all replies to the main list.
Regards
Phil
--
Phil Wyett
{
GNU Linux User and Developer
Leigh GNU Linux User Group (http://leigh.lug.org.uk)
IRC: philwyett
Twitter: philwyett and leigh_lug
}
Project Manager of Crystal Space and CEL
(http://www.crystalspace3d.org/<http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page>
)
Project Manager of AresEd (https://code.google.com/p/ares/)
Support: https://www.gittip.com/jorritTyb/
Christian Van Brussel
2014-04-22 15:21:05 UTC
Post by Phil Wyett
What would you like to see in the next release?
This would be great to release also the new CSEditing branch as a
separate library package.

There are also still some API fixes I would like to do in csVariant,
I'll try to do that in the next days.

I also found a computer where I experiment segfaults with both the
physics2 plugin and the new animation nodes, I'll try to have a look at
that too.
Post by Phil Wyett
What would you like to see gone from the next release?
Would we remove the previous movie recorder? The main problem with it is
that it is the only GPL code that remains in CS (not LGPL then). It also
uses the NuppelVideo video file format that is obscure and hardly
supported.

Finally, there is now the new movie recorder that works nicely and
should be used instead. The downside is that it requires the libav
library that is currently not shipped within the cswinlibs package.
Phil Wyett
2014-04-22 17:03:45 UTC
Post by Phil Wyett
What would you like to see gone from the next release?
Would we remove the previous movie recorder? The main problem with it is
that it is the only GPL code that remains in CS (not LGPL then). It also
uses the NuppelVideo video file format that is obscure and hardly
supported.
Finally, there is now the new movie recorder that works nicely and
should be used instead. The downside is that it requires the libav
library that is currently not shipped within the cswinlibs package.
Seems SF is having a mood today. I will look at CSEditing as soon as
able.

I am up for removing the old movie recorder. I am not putting it in the
next releases binary package builds (i.e. RPM or DEB) on GNU Linux.

Lets look at the new movie recorder and we can all discuss. :-)

I think Frank can offer if he has any plans to add libav to cswinlibs.

Regards

Phil
--
Phil Wyett